A HOUSE DIVIDED
- TITLE: A House Divided
- PUBLISHER: Game Designer's Workshop/GDW/Phalanx
- SCOPE: The American Civil War, 1861-1865
- TAHGC CATALOG DESCRIPTION: Not applicable
- GAME BOX DESCRIPTION:
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): First Edition,1981, Game Designer's
Workshop; Second Edition, 1989, Game Designer's Workshop; Third Edition, Phalanx
- CREDITS GDW 1981 edition ; GDW 1989 edition; Phalanx
####; . Web Grognard info on editions
- Developer: John Harshman, Alan Emrich
- Playtesters: Tim Brown, John Astell, Cave Emign, Tom
Harris, Greg Novak, Ben Knight, David MacDonald, and Kathy Zeidenstein
- Art Director: Paul R. Banner , Steve Bryant
- Box Cover Artist: William H. Keith, Jr.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): Introductory, level 1
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): 30 minutes to 3 hours
- MAP SCALE: Point to point, typically cities.
- UNIT SCALE: 7000-10, 000 calvary, 10,000 to 15,000 infantry
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: Monthly, two months in winter.
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS:
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY (1st edition): 160 unit counters; 17"
x 22" unmounted mapboard; four page rules booklet, two pages of advanced
rules, turn record chart, die. Counter
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Never made it as an Avaloncon
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgame Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest once a VASSAL VAHD module
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: Excellent introductory game to
wargaming. I have limited play experience (one game) with this title so I
defer to paraphrase a review found on Web Grognards (author unknown). I'm
not a real fan of this game but have it due to its ease of play. The rules
show where to place the optional soft drinks and chips on the table. Optional
rules are Crack infantry get to move like cavalry, battle restrictions by
unit type (infantry, cavalry), Naval Evacuations, Union rail movement bonus,
Union historical recruiting limitation, increased Union forces, first turn
restriction, Fort Monroe, Confederate replacement training and Northern draft
riots of 1863. 2nd editions add some Leaders and March Tables.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: One play copy. (1st edition);
Rules for 2nd and 3rd editions.
- No Java application VASSAL module
at this time.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page