- TITLE: Blitzkrieg
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- TAHGC CATALOG DESCRIPTION: Our best seller. The complete
wargame. Contains nearly 400 land and air units. Players represent 5-star
generals and plan grand strategy with infantry, armor, paratroops, artillery,
Marine, Ranger, TAC and SAC Air units. Giant 44" x 22" mapboard
simulates all imaginable terrain: desert, forest, sea, mountain, urban and
rural areas. Blitzkrieg fictionalizes Germany's breakout in World War II designed
with help from the Office of the Chief of Military History (OCMH), Washington
D. C. and the United States War college. Players command the armies of Great
Blue (Allies) and Big Red (Germany).
- GAME BOX DESCRIPTION:
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1965 (revised 1975). Basic Game,
Tournament Game, Optional Rules
- Original Design: Lawrence Pinsky
- AH Redesign: Dave Roberts
- Development & Playtest: Jeffery Ellis, Karl Fickenscherd,
Donald Greenwood, Richard Hamblen, Thomas Roberts, Davis Saunders, Michael
- Typesetting: Colonial Composition
- Printing: Monarch Services
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10):
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS):
- MAP SCALE:
- UNIT SCALE: Division, Brigades, Wings, Squadrons
- TIME SCALE PER TURN:
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: 15 turns
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 400 unit counters; 22" x 44"
mounted mapboard; multiple playing aids and charts, 1 die; 20page rulebook.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Never made it as a Avaloncon
event as non-historical basis of game hurt its long term appeal.
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgamer Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest once a VASSAL VBZK module
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: All the World War II ground and
air unit capabilities are present in a fictional conflict. This game is a
good introductory game and also challenging in the advanced and optional rule
forms. Despite its lack of correlation to an actual battle/campaign, this
was a best seller. Also given the limited number of turns and several PBEM
formats generated in recent years, this would be an ideal PBEM tournament
game aimed not at the grognards who like hundreds of pages of rules but at
the occasional or new gamer.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: I think i just talked myself
into creating a VASSAL module.
- No Java application VASSAL module
at this time.
- A Cyberboard game set exists for Blitzkrieg.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page