COI-CROSS OF IRON
- TITLE: Cross if Iron
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: The Game of Tactical Warfare on the Eastern Front,
1941-1945. First expansion gamette for Squad Leader.
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE: First SQL gamette, featuring expanded
rules, mapboard 5, Axis Minor infantry, and many new Germans and Russian playing
pieces. Ownership of Squad Leader is required. 1st extension of Squad Leader,
involving tactical warfare on the Eastern front 1941-1945.
- GAME BOX VERBAGE: This is CROSS OF IRON, a gripping game
of tactical combat on the Russian Front. COI comes replete with an entirely
restructured armor and artillery system, which does for armor combat what
its predecessor, SQUAD LEADER, did for infantry actions.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1977; 2nd (1978); 3rd (1980);
- Original Research & Game System: John Hill
- Gamette Design: Don Greenwood & John Hill
- Game Development: Donald Greenwood
- Scenario Design: John Hill, Arnold Blumberg, Don Greenwood
- Special Armor Consultant: Arnold Hendrick
- Production Assistant & MVP: Robert McNamara
- Cover: Rodger MacGowan
- Scenario Art:Rodger MacGowan, Scenario 18; US Army
Photo via MILITARY JOURNAL
- Board & Counter Art: Scott Moores
- Playtesting: Bob Medrow, Jon Mishcon, (w/ J. Kenower
& J. Suchar), Kevin Duke (w/ J. McDonnell), Charles DeYoung, Interest
Group San Francisco (w/ S. Spoulos, C. Allen, W. Cullop, M. Hawkins, N.
Markovitch. M. Anderson), Robert Kisielewicz, Robert Corbett, Steven List,
Richard Hooks, Alan Mandell, Dr. Michael Musser, Lt. Bruce Degi, Ray Clark,
Paul Youkey, Lt. D. Chappell, D. Munsell, H. Givens, L. Williams, B. Van
Nortwick, J. Alsen, J Epperson, J. Stahler, P. O’Neil and many others.
- Printing: Monarch Services
- Composition: Colonial Composition
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 5
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): From 2 hours for a short
scenario; 6+ large scenarios.
- MAP SCALE: 40 meters per hex
- UNIT SCALE: Individual squads, leaders, support weapons
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: Two minutes
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: Function of scenario played; typically
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 520 Back printed 1/2" counters; 576 Back
printed 5/8" counters, one 22x28" mounted mapboards, 36-page illustrated
rulebook and designer's notes, 8scenario cards (#13-20), 2 Quick Reference
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: COI specific Tournaments were
run by SQLA from Avaloncon 1996 through WBC 1999. To minimize the dilution
of player interest, been offered from Avaloncon 1991 inception through 2003
World Boardgame Championships. Tournaments allow players to compete at any
of the four SQLSeries rulesets at the lower ruleset compatibility of the pairing
(SQL, COI, COD, GIA). Squad Leader Academy has run all separate SQL and COI
events (1996-1999) consolidated Squad Leader Series events at Avalaoncon and
World Boardgame Championships form 1996 and into the pre sent. Side competitions
for the Best Personal Leader Competition and Eliminating the previous years
PLC winner occur in parallel to tournament championships. SQLA encourages
competitive play but also welcomes and mentors new and 'rusty' players who
wish to participate. SQL has run 25+ FTF and PBEM to date and is the administrator
for both Boardgame Player Association PBEM events and SQL AREA Player Ratings.
- PBEM TOOLS: VSQL VASSAL
module is available and has full COI capability. VSQL has become the standard
for PBEM and real time Internet play.
- PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgame Player Association PBEM tournament
was completed in 2000 and the 2004 event is scheduled for a January, 2004
start. To date SQLA has administrated 25+ FTF and PEBMN events for the SQLA
series. An active PBEM ladder, email group and scenario record exists.
- WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: COI is my most played level of
play in the SQL series. The revision of the armor and artillery rules in combination
with more infantry units types allows players to more greatly influence the
scenario outcome through strategy, tactics and execution rather than a dice
- WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: Multiple play copies, unpunched
games, softcopy rulebook, charts, maps, Order of Battles, all rulebook editions,
and extensive related magazine archives. Counter library, maps, and charts
in Claris Draw; maps and counters in GIF format.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page