PBEM OPPORTUNITES: There are several
extensive Diplomacy organization such as Diplomacy
World whom I defer to for PBEM play. Numerous other sites listed on Web
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: This is an enjoyable multi-player
board game best when played with seven starting players who don't hold a grudge.
(I find similarity with SSI computer game COLONIAL CONQUEST.) All game pieces
are equal fighting for supply centers in pre-WWI europe. With only three units
to start with, the uncontrolled supply centers are goggled up. To make any
further progress, one needs help from other players who is turn must be eliminated
to move towards your victory. The focus of the game is the negotiation phase
where one makes promises, deals, threats, spread misinformation, lies, rumors.
All players write orders which are resolved simultaneously. The actual orders
may have no similar to the pre-order negotiations.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: None needed, due to others
provided by various Diplomacy organizations.,
- TITLE: Diplomacy
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: (World War II) The exciting game of international
- TAHGC CATALOG DESCRIPTION: Up to 7 player game of international
intrigue. Realistic game of strategy without dice; as players guide the destinies
of European powers circa 1901 on.
- GAME BOX DESCRIPTION: DIPLOMACY is a game of skill and
cunning negotiations, chance plays no part! In DIPLOMACY, each player guides
the destinies of one European power through international politics. By negotiating
alliances with other players and careful planning, each player seeks control
of Europe. Diplomacy test your ability not only to plan a campaign, but also
to outwit your fellow players in diplomatic negotiations.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1976, although quotations on
game box are dated as early as 1973. Hasbro issues there version in approximately
2000. Related game titles are Colonial Diplomacy and Machiavelli
- Original Game Design:
- AH Redesign:
- Game Development:
- Box Art:
- Typesetting: Colonial Composition
- Printing: Monarch Services
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 4
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS):
- MAP SCALE:
- UNIT SCALE:
- TIME SCALE PER TURN:
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS:
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 112 Army and Navy playing pieces (painted
wooden blocks in 1976 version) unit counters; 22" x 24" mounted
mapboard; Set of conference maps, Instruction booklet with examples of play,
miscellaneous playing aids.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Consistent event since Avaloncon
1991 (Now World Boardgame Championships) and Prezcon.
- PBEM TOOLS:
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page