FTP -FOR THE PEOPLE
- TITLE: FOR THE PEOPLE
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC); 2nd edition
- SCOPE: Grand Strategy of the (American) Civil War
- TAHGC CATALOG DESCRIPTION:
- GAME BOX DESCRIPTION: FOR THE PEOPLE is a grand strategy
game of the Civil War covering the conflict from Texas to Pennsylvania, from
the firing on Fort Sumter to the end at Appomattox Court House. You take the
role of either Lincoln or Davis, promote and relieve generals, conduct amphibious
assaults, dispatch calvary raids, and even battle your incompetent commanders,
and political intrigue in among members of you own cabinet
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1998. Upon the dissolution of
TAHGC, the title was republished as a second edition by GMT in 2000. GMT update
rules are downloadable from.GMT's
site. Some Q&A answered from the designer.
- CREDITS (Second edition in italics)
- Game Design Development: Mark Herman
- Rules Editing, Map and Counter Art; 2nd edition Developer:
- Proof Reading: Georgia " Peach" Wilson
- Box Cover Art: Kurt Miller
- Art Director: Rodger B. MacGowan
- Map Art: Mark Simonitch
- Counter Art: Mark Simonitch & Rodger B. MacGowan
- Research Assistance: Richard Berg and Jack Greene
- Special Thanks: Andy Lewis and Dick Shay for the aid
above and beyond the call of playtesting.
- Playtesting: Jeff Brown, Andy Daglish, Joel Feldman,
Jan Kraheberger, Andy Lewis, Jason Matthews, Dr. Steve Owen, Peter Perla,
Rich Phares, Dick Shay, Bill Theot, Rob Winslow, and George Young.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2.
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 9
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): From two hours for a scenario
to 8 hours for the entire war. Four Scenarios (1661, 19862, 1863, 1864) and
- MAP SCALE: Point to Point. Representation of the Eastern
United States with movement location boxes approximately 100 miles.
- UNIT SCALE: Armies; 1 point represents 6000 men.
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: 7 moves per turn, 3 turns per year;
4 months per turn.
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS:
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 408 counters (two sheets); 22" x 32"
mounted mapboard; 96 strategy cards, 24 page rule booklet, 2 dice; .
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Introduced as an event in
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Other resources exist to support PBEM
play beyond WGA capabilities.
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: This is one of the first 'Card
Driven' boardgames merging the randomness of strategy cards to define player
options. My experience with this title is slight with sound beatings by high
caliber opposition. As I categorize myself as a more casual gamer with diverse
game title interest and limited discretionary time, I find FTP too complex
for these limitations and prefer the simplicity of Victory Game's THE
CIVIL WAR. I will defer the more experienced for comments.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: One unpunched first edition
- A Java application VASSAL module
for the 2006 edition of FTP is posted. the Warhorse Simulation ACTS card
tracker system was originally developed to tract cards for this title.
- Warhorse Simulations Automated
Card Tracking System for card driven games including FTP.
- Hank Burkhalter's Above the Fields
supports PBEM play for FTP (Windows Application).
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page