- TITLE: Operation Crusader
- PUBLISHER: Game Designers Workshop (GDW)
- SCOPE: Desert fighting in the area around Tobruk in the
period May-November, 1941
- RULEBOOK VERBAGE: Operation Crusader is an intense tactical
/operational simulation of the desert fighting in the area around Tobruk in
the period May-November, 1941. During that period, three distinct operations
were launched by the British against the Axis forces under the command of
Rommel: Operations Brevity, Battleaxe, and Crusader. One scenario covers each
of the three operations, with an additional scenario covering the Sidi Rezegh
battle. Operation Crusader is a simultaneous movement game, designed for multiple
players, with extensive unit type differentiation. Many of the mechanics used
in the game are of a novel nature, but prepublication testing has shown that
players will quickly become familiar with the bases of the system, as the
options open to players very closely parallel actual operational decisions.
Every attempt has been made in the body of the rules to explain the rationale
behind specific rules to aid in both their understanding and their retention.
- GAME BOX VERBAGE:
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1978. Only one published edition..
Published errata taken from on Web Grognards.
- Game Designt: Frank A. Chadwick
- Art Directiont: Paul R. Banner
- Game Research: Frank A. Chadwick, Paul R. Banner, Franklin
- Playtesting: Doug Wills, Paul Kohl, Tony Svajlenka
Tom Harris, Tim Brown, John Harshman Greg Novak, Bill Stone, Kevin Brown,
and Winston Hamilton.
- Special Appreciation: John Harshman, whose many suggestions
and ideas throughout the project led to a much richer game, and to Frank
Prieskop, whose tireless research work produced volumes of desperately
needed information on very short notice.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2+ (multiplayer teams)
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 9
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): Lots
- MAP SCALE: 1.5 miles per hex.
- UNIT SCALE: Battalions and companies.
- TIME SCALE PER TURN:
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS:
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: Ten sheets of counters are provided, consisting
of six sheets of combat units and aircraft, two sheets of column markers (numbered
from 1 to 240), Charts, Rulebook, unmmounted mapshseets, 20 side die.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Not Applicable
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Group effort would be required to create a VASSAL
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: Operation Crusader is effectively
a tactical/operational level game. Units are placed in columns and movement
is plotted for simulataneous resolution. Column formation has an impact on
movement and combat abilities. Air warfare is controlled at the players level.
Details such as supply consumption, tank breakdown, fatique, command control,
anti-aircraft and other low level details are covered in the ruleset. I have
attempted to play this twice with neither attempt progressing deep into the
scenario. Comments from veteran players will be added when acquired.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: None at
this time. At this time only a copy of the rulebook (softcopy) exists in WGA
- No Java application VASSAL module
at this time.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page