- TITLE: Operation Typhoon
- PUBLISHER: Simulation Publications Incorporated (SPI)
- SCOPE: The German Assault on Moscow, 1941
- RULEBOOK VERBAGE: OPERATION TYPHOON is a operational level
simulation of the last, desperate German assault on the Russian capital of
Moscow in the late Fall of 1941. The staggering German successes of the past
Summer were history. One question still was left unanswered in the closing
days of 1941; Could the war be ended in one last, decisive stoke aimed at
the heart of the Russian nation.
- GAME BOX VERBAGE:
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1978. Only one published edition
by SPI. Published errata taken from on Web Grognards.
- Game System & Development: Joseph Angiolillo
- Co-Design, Game Development: Joseph M. Baklowski
- Physical Systems and Graphics: Redmond Simonsen
- In-house Playtester: John Butterfield
- Playtesters: Abram Taylor, Peter Kemp, Tom Hamilton
- Rules Assistance: Simon Ellberger
- Production: Bob Ryer, LInda Sapin, Kate Higgins, Manfred
F. Milkuhn, Steve Parsons, Norman Pearl, Bob Degni.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2+ (multiplayer teams)
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 7
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): No estimate due to lack of
- MAP SCALE: 2.7 miles (4.32 km) per hex.
- UNIT SCALE: German battalions, Russian Divisions
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: 1 day
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: Scenarios include Panzergruppe Guderian
<16 turns; 1 map>; Hoepner and Reinhardt: Objective Moscow <16 turns;
1 map>; Von Kluge on the Nara <16 turns; 1 map>; Campaign Game: The
Battle for Moscow <16 turns, 3 maps>
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click
- GAME INVENTORY: 800 counters (four counter sheets), three
unmounted 22" x 32" game mapsheets 24 page rules booklet, two different
Track/Chart sheets, two dice.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Not Applicable
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Group effort would be required to create a VASSAL
module. As a relatively simple game, such would be a reasonable goal.
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: I have no experience with this
title. However with a brief look, the playing area is sizable for the number
of counters involve. Per the rulebook, the burden of attack is on the german
player. As the scenarios and campaign game are relatively short at 16 turns,
the game seems suited for PBEM.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: None at
- No Java application VASSAL module
at this time.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page