- TITLE: Patton's Best
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: (World War II) Sherman Tank Solitaire Game
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE: Solitaire only, battle game based
on legendary exploits of General George Patton; re-creates World War II warfare
in a Sherman Tank.
- GAME BOX VERBAGE: PATTON'S BEST The Avalon Hill Game Company's
new solitaire game that puts you in the commander's seat of a Sherman tank
in George Patton's best fighting division, the 4th Armored. You can play through
a short engagement, a complete day of movement and battle, or follow the day-by-day
European campaign of the 4th Armored Division. The success and survival of
your tank depends on your decisions.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1987. Only one published edition.
- Design and Development: Bruce C. Shelley
- Graphics and Map Art: Charles Kibler
- Box Art: George Parrish
- Contributors: Bob McNamara, Neal Schlaffer, Craig Taylor,
Gerry White, Don Greenwood
- Prep Department Coordinator: Elaine M. Atkins
- Typesetting: Colonial Composition
- Printing: Monarch Services
- Production:: Eastern Box
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1; solitaire
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 4
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS):
- MAP SCALE: Several square miles per area.
- UNIT SCALE: Individual tanks, vehicles and squads.
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: 15 minutes
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS:
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 218 unit counters; 22" x 24"
mounted mapboard; rules booklet, After Action Report pad, 17 tank charts,
3 charts and Table cards, 2 decimal dice.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Never made it as an Avaloncon
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: As a solitaire game, doesn't seem an
appropriate game title for PBEM play.
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: I don't have any play experience
with this title so I defer to paraphrase a review found on Web Grognards (attributed
to Peter Phelps). The single thing that I most like is the RPG aspect of the
game - another great feature of AH's B-17. In PTB, however, not only the crew
skills improve during the game, but you get the opportunity to upgrade to
better models of the M4 Sherman as you go along (17 models in all!). The enhanced
RPG element includes promotions and medals for valor in combat, based on a
very clever battle points system. While it is a good quick game for a evening,
- No Java application VASSAL module
at this time.
'hook' is that the RPG aspect of the Campaign Game REALLY is addictive, I
felt like part of the action in PB.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: One play copy.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page