- TITLE: PanzerLeader
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: (World War II) Armored warfare on the western Front
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE: 20 different game sin one package;
each a replay of famous WWII western front situation involving armored tactics.
For hard core only.
- GAME BOX VERBAGE:
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1974. The first games were published
in the three piece 'sleeve' bookcase box, the latter games were published
in a standard two piece bookcase box.
- Historical Research and Situation Design: Dave Clark
and Nich Smith
- Rule Development and Expansion: Randall C. Reed
- Component Design: Randall C. Reed
- Box Art: Scott Moores
- Production Coordinator: Thomas N. Shaw
- Playtesting: Arvin van Zante, Rick Archer, Tom Welsh,
George Uhl, Neil Topolnickl, and members of Interest Group Baltimore.
Special thanks to Tom Welsh.
- Printing: Monarch Services, Colonial Composition
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 4
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): Three hours and up.
- MAP SCALE: approximately 250 meters per hex.
- UNIT SCALE: Platoons for all units.
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: 6 minutes
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: Varies per scenario, typically 6-10.
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: 360 5/8" unit counters, four mounted
mapboards totaling 22"32" far ea, rulebook, 12 scenario cards, campaign
analysis booklet, plastic components tray, one die.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: Continuous event since Avaloncon
- PBEM TOOLS:
- Java application VASSAL module
exists for PanzerLeader (Combined with PanzerBlitz).
- A full Play by Graphics toolset using Claris Draw exists in the WGA
archives to PBEM using a multilayer graphics file. Claris Draw installers
exist for both Macintosh OS9 and Windows. Claris Draw is an orphaned application.
- PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgamer Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest using Vassal.
- WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: Good introduction to combined
arms. Terrain LOS rules are simplified but quirky. Sequel to PanzerBlitz and
predecessor to Arab-Israeli Wars. WGA is the custodian of the PanzerLeader
VASSAL java module (cross-platform between Windows, Macintosh OSX, LINUX and
UNIX). PanzerLeader also is a game system open to numerous scenarios of a
players design limited by only the three mapboards included in the game.
- WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: WGA is the custodian of the
VASSAL PanzerBlitz & PanzerLeader
module. Development of the original module is credited to John Fermendzin,
Dennis Jorgenson, and Jeff Wise. Two game play copies, softcopy rulebook,
complete game editable multilayer map, Order of Battles, Counter library &
charts in Claris Draw. WGA is working on creation of the softcopy article
library, an amplified rulebook edition, and a PZB-PZL rules differences guide.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page