SQLA Scenario WG301  

" Wytyczno "

©2007 A Squad Leader Academy Scenario;

Scenario Design by Bill Sosnicki 

Updated 070204; 

Eastern Poland, October 1, 1939 near the village of Wytyczno near Wlodawa:  The struggle between the Polish forces of the Border Defense Corps for Frontier Area Protection (Korpus Ochrony Pogranicza or KOP) commanded by Gen. Wilhelm Orlik-Rückemann and the Soviet Red Army during the Soviet invasion of Poland continued.  Soon after the battle of Szack on September 28, the Polish commander decided to cross the Bug River and continue the fight there.  On September 30 the Poles crossed the river.  Although largely victorious in most of the battles against the Soviets, the Polish unit was reduced to merely 3,000 men and was lacking heavy equipment and ammunition.   In addition, most of the soldiers of the Border Defense Corps had been forced to cross-large parts of Poland, with the average unit crossing almost 500 kilometers in two weeks.  Shortly after crossing the Wlodawa-Trawniki road on October 1 at 1 AM near the village of Wytyczno (pronounced Vi-Tisch-No), the Polish unit was attacked by a tank unit of the Soviet 45th Rifle Division.  The Polish Bofors 37 mm Anti-Tank guns opened fire at close range and the Soviet unit withdrew losing four tanks.  Soon after daybreak the Soviets returned, this time with the majority of 45th division's units, and fully expected a different outcome...

VICTORY CONDITIONS: To win the Russian must have undisputed control of building 3N2 and at least 11 of the 16 buildings within the road circle net which is defined as 2U7-2Q8-3Q3-3N4-3N6-3Q8-3S7-3S6-3U5-3U3-3Y3-3Y8-2U7 by games end and avoid being forced to retreat.  In order for a building to be controlled in your favor, your side must have been the last to occupy any hex of the building with an unbroken unit while no enemy unit was in the building.  The Poles have control of all of the VC buildings at the start of the game.  The Poles win by avoiding the Russian Victory Condition or they may win immediately if they force a Russian retreat.  The Russian is forced to retreat the very moment the number of Good Order Russian unit forces falls below a level of 50% of its original attacking forces due to the effects of being broken, killed, or destroyed.   A Leader, squad, and crew count as 1 unit apiece.   Destruction of an AFV with crew count as 2 units lost.  An abandoned or Immobilized but crewed AFV count as 1 unit lost.




2 (or 2y)
3 (or 3y)

7 (or 7y)

VARIATIONS:    Pole: Game Length is 8 Turns; * Russian: Add one 8-0 Leader to Russian OB. 

Poles sets up first
7 8 9
Russian moves first

AFTERMATH:  The Red Army started a frontal assault on the village of Wytyczno and expected the Polish forces to be completely routed since it was believed to be comprised entirely of officers.  However, that was not the case and the Polish tabors crossed the road into the forests behind the village and placed artillery posts there, which enabled the defending Poles to hold their positions.  The struggle for the village continued on, with both sides suffering heavy losses.  At 9am the Polish 75 mm artillery had no more than 60 shells left and the howitzers had not more than 10 per barrel.  Gen. Wilhelm Orlik-Rückemann ordered the Polesie Battalion to attack the left flank of the enemy in order to lessen the enemy pressure on the center of the Polish line.  However, the soldiers were too exhausted to start the assault and most of them simply declined to follow the order.  The KOP Sarny Regiment Commander, Col. Nikodem Sulik, reported that the Polish defenses were getting weaker with every hour and with all probability the battle would end by dawn with a complete Polish defeat.  At 10:30am a Polish war council was called together and from that meeting it was decided that the only way for the Polish forces to survive was to withdraw, divide the unit onto smaller detachments, and then try to break through to the units of the Independent Operational Group Polesie fighting nearby.  At noon the Polish units successfully withdrew to the forests.  Most of them joined other Polish units to continue the fight, while Gen. Orlik-Rückemann found his way to Great Britain through Lithuania and Sweden.