- TITLE: Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: Man vs Monster; Interstellar Warfare in the Twenty
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE:
- RULEBOOK VERBAGE: STARSHIP TROOPERS recreates the tactical
level action described in the novel of the same name. Since this is science
fiction, the game does not attempt to simulate reality. Rather, this design
is a straight-forward attempt to bring to life the political-miliary system
described in the movie. It is NOT necessary to have read the novel before
playing the game. Reading it, however, will give the game player a better
appreciation of the gamy system.
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1976; A movie tie-in edition
was published following the 1997 release of the movie. The latter game was
a tie-in to the movie but in all respects a different game with the same title.
- Game Research Design: Randall C. Reed
- Original Book and Idea: Robert A. Heinlein
- Component Design and Execution: Randall C. Reed
- Production Assistant: Richard Hamblen
- Production Coordinator: Thomas N. Shaw
- Sculpture: Richard Hamblen
- Lego Design: Emily March
- Box Cover and Mapboard: George Goebel
- Character Illustration: Emily March
- Montage: Richard Hamblen
- Counter Art: Randall C. Reed and Richard Hamblen
- Sculpture: Richard Hamblen
- Photography: Looking Glass Photographics
- Playtesting: Dave Fram, David Govacker, John Desmond,
Arvin van Zante, Rick Archer, Timothy Wiedel, Greg Truner, James Michael
Crockett, Mark Nicholson, Walter Mings, Larry Robbins, John Marvin, Bill
Larsen, The University of Pennsylvania Wargamers and member of Interest
- Typesetting: Colonial Composition
- Printing: Monarch Services.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2-
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 4+ (Programmed instruction
rulebook, each scenario adding to rules in use)
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): 2 hours+; 10+ turns as function
- MAP SCALE: Estimated 50 meters?
- UNIT SCALE: Groups of individual troopers or alien warriors
with related support weapons.
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: 12 minutes
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: Campaign, two scenarios (6 and 8
- PARTIAL ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: ### 1/2" counters; 124" x 22"
mounted mapboard, 24 page rulebook, Player Aid cards, die.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: No history as a tournament
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: Contact Wargame
Academy if interested. A Boardgamer Player Association PBEM tournament
can be organized by WGA pending suitable interest using the VASSAL VSST module.
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: The original is a classic sci-fi
wargame based on a book so mango love. It is definitely a 70's wargame, using
a series of missions to slowly teach you all the rules of the game (Programmed
Instruction). The movie version has much higher production values (20 years
age difference shows,) and is a fun but simple beer and pretzels game. The
reprint is a fun game to play with your kids, or away to help teach new gamers
to not fear hexagons. And most missions in the new one take an hour.(Clarification
contributed by Jeremy W. Fridy <firstname.lastname@example.org)).
WARGAME ACADEMY TOOLS: Two unpunched game copies.
ACCOLADES: 1976 Charles Roberts Award Best Tactical Game
- Two Java application VASSAL
module are posted awaiting beta test.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page