VIP-VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC
- TITLE: Victory in the Pacific
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: (World War II) Pacific Campaign against Japan
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE: Pacific theater aerial/naval action
- GAME BOX VERBAGE:
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): First Edition 1978; second edition
1981. Two rulebook editions were in print by TAHGC. A 3rd edition is available
from the VIP community shortly.
- Design & Development: Richard Hamblen
- Components Design: Richard Hamblen, Donald Greenwood
- Box Art: Jean Baer, from a painting by R. G. Smith
- Production Coordinator: Thomas N. Shaw
- Playtesting: B. Barr; Seth Carus, Jim Rumpg, James
Stalher, Donald Greenwood
- Printing: Monarch Services
- Typesetting: Colonial Composition
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 5
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): 3-5 hours
- MAP SCALE: Eleven sea Areas representing the pacific theater,
numerous ports and bases
- UNIT SCALE: Capital Ships, Land Based Air, submarines,
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: Approximately 6 months
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: Eight; optional turn 9 variant.
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: ### unit counters; approximately 14"
x 22" mounted mapboard; rulebook, 1 die; 8 page rulebook. 11"x14"x1.5"
flat game box.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: VIP has been a tournament
title since the first Avaloncon , remains a continuous event at World
Boardgame Championships. VIP remains one of the strongest events
in FTF and PBEM tournament play.. The WBC gamemaster changes as years progress.
. An additional VIP dedicated tournament is held by Glenn
Petroski, MIDWEST OPEN, the first weekend in March in Kenosha Wisconsin.
It is debatable which is the most prestigious championship. VIP is also a
tournament at Prezcon [aka The Winter Nationals], typically held in the 3rd
week of February at Charlottesville VA.
- REMOTE PLAY TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: A Boardgamer Players Association (BPA)
single elimination tournament is held annually. Contact BPA
if interested. A continuous King of the Hill WAS PBEM ladder occurs on the
four month cycle. John Pack is the current moderator of the VIP AREA PBEM
Ladder. PBEM ladder guidelines and rule clarifications are found on
John's VIP site. Send me any updates of the Tournament
Summary of any additional FTF and PBEM events.
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC is one
of my favorite titles as combines both simplicity and ample variations of
strategy. Like WAR AT SEA its predecessor a lot of die are thrown and one
must react to the outcome to the results of the previous rounds of battle.
Different from WAS, two round movement, numerous land based air, marines and
islands/ports are additional keys to victory. Disguised by the volume of die
rolls, many variations of strategy and flexibility are required to marshall
the various resources to obtain a victory. Every time my confidence in my
game ability in this titles rides high, I am consistently squashed by one
of the Masters of this title. The regularity of the same names at the top
of the VIP AREA ratings is a testament that this is game of skill & mind
and not random luck.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: Softcopy rulebook, word/text
PBEM sheet, trustee of the Vassal module
(Java: free, platform independent, supporting step review PBEM and server
play), extensive article archive converted to PDF. James Eliason and John
Pack's NT1 variant is found at http://www.gameaholics.com/vitp_articles/turn_one.htm.
ACCOLADES: 1977 Charles Roberts Award Best Strategic winner.
- A polished VIP application VASSAL
module exists and is posted on the VASSAL site. John Pack's VASSAL
INSTALL & PLAY TIPS was created as VASSAL is now the default interface
for VIP activity managed by John's www.gameaholics.com site.
- I have played 10+ games using a simple color formatted Microsoft
world file (.doc).
- This formula laden excel spreadsheet calculated the turn summary and running
total of POC.
- Planning map, 8x11, color(gif format;
- Planning map, 8x11, black&white(gif format;
- Earlier generation softcopy tools such as WARGAME PROCESSOR,s or CYBERBOARD,
AIDE DE CAMP; are alternatives to VASSAL however these are not necessarily
free, platform independent, support real time server play or step review
of PBEM turn (all features of VASSAL)..
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page