WAS-WAR AT SEA
- TITLE: War At Sea
- PUBLISHER: The Avalon Hill Game Company (TAHGC)
- SCOPE: (World War II) Battle of the North Atlantic
- TAHGC CATALOG VERBAGE: European theater aerial/naval action
of WWII. Ideal starter game for historian, military buff and novice.
- GAME BOX VERBAGE:
- YEAR PUBLISHED (EDITIONS): 1972. Originally published by
Jedco Prior to acquisition and further development by TAHGC.
- Historical Research & Design: John Edwards
- Game Development: Don Greenwood
- Artwork: John Edwards, Scott Moores, Jim Hamilton
- Box Art: Robert D. Watts, Leeward Publications,Inc.
- Playtesting: B. Barr; J. Connolly; S. Greenwood; R. Hamblen; M. Saha;
- Printing: Monarch Services
- Typesetting: Colonial Composition
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 2
- WGA COMPLEXITY SCALE (1-10): 3
- TYPICAL PLAYING TIME (HOURS): 60-90 minutes
- MAP SCALE: Sea Areas representing the Atlantic, Baltic,
Barents, North Sea, and Mediterranean
- UNIT SCALE: Capital Ships, Land Based Air, -Boats, Convoys.
- TIME SCALE PER TURN: Approximately 6 months
- NUMBER OF GAME TURNS: Eight
- ARTICLE LISTING: Click here
- GAME INVENTORY: ### unit counters; approximately 12"
x 22" mounted mapboard; rulebook, 1 die; rulebook. 11"14"1.5"
flat game box.
- WBC & AVALONCON HISTORY: WAS has been a tournament
title continuously since Avaloncon 1991. Vince
Meconi is the current gamemaster of the WBC WAS tournament.
- PBEM TOOLS:
PBEM OPPORTUNITES: A Boardgamer Players Association (BPA)
single elimination tournament is held annually. Contact BPA
if interested. A continuous King of the Hill WAS PBEM ladder occurs on the
four month cycle. Currently Round 46 pairings has just been declared 31Jan2013;
ends 30Apr2013). The WAS AREA King of the Hill (KOTH) PBEM Ladder
WARGAME ACADEMY COMMENTS: WAS has both a forte and foible
of its simplicity with battles determined by casting a high volume of die
rolls. However the is subtle strategy and player style which makes it difficult
to master as there is no patent winning strategy in the tournament setting
where players bid Points of Control (POC) for side. However the bid travels
in both directions due to individual player preferences. WAS is an excellent
introductory game to military history boardgaming with an extensive article
base. As I grow more fond of shorter games easily to play due to limited time,
I have regained a respect for this title. WAS was the precursor to VICTORY
IN THE PACIFIC.
WARGAME ACADEMY GAME TOOLS: Softcopy rules and Microsoft
Word document are available for general use., VASSAL
remote play tool, extensive article archives.
- A WAS application VASSAL module
is available and has been optimized.
- Due to simplicity, the game is readily played via a formatted , Excel,
or text file.
Please send comments and corrections via to Wargame
Go to the Wargame
Academy main page